REASONS FOR LASER RESURFACING
Patients seek laser resurfacing for a variety of reasons, all related to discontent with their appearance. Laser resurfacing may be performed for any of the following reasons:
- To decrease or eliminate wrinkles or stretchmarks
- To diminish the appearance of scars
- To rejuvenate non-responsive skin after a facelift
- To remove age spots or spider veins
- To repair sun-damaged skin
- To improve skin tone due to melasma or other causes
- To remove warts or birthmarks
- To decrease the size of enlarged pores
- To remove tattoos
Fractional CO2 Laser:
Fractional CO2 Laser, one of the most sophisticated skin revitalization treatments available. This advanced procedure is especially well suited for refine and neck, a very sensitive area of the body. Targeting acne and trauma-related scarring, wrinkles and age spots, the Fractional CO2 Laser leaves skin healthier, smoother and rejuvenated after just one quick treatment.
Fractional CO2 Laser repairs skin by using carbon dioxide energy beams that make small holes in the skin. Strategically placed, the holes trigger the body to start making collagen, which is a protein that naturally keeps skin firm and full. Because the laser sends out beams in a fractionated manner, not all skin is affected, therefore allowing the untreated skin to boost the recovery time.
Fractional CO2 Laser treatment lasts about an hour. To alleviate slight discomfort, individuals can receive a topical anesthetic or mild sedative. When the treatment is completed, individuals may feel like they have sunburn, and the skin on their neck may begin to peel. This is normal and very temporary because the skin will recover in about four or five days.
In about five days, individuals will see dramatic results: the skin will be smoother, wrinkles will be filled in, scars will be diminished and the skin’s overall color will be healthier and more radiant. The skin will continue to improve for several months after the Fractional CO2 Laser Skin treatment. And, the results are permanent.
Fractional CO2 Laser may be used for treatment of the face, neck, chest, arms, back, or legs. These treatments have less downtime and may need multiple sessions to achieve similar results as the fractional CO2 Laser.
POST TREATMENT CARE
1. Immediately after treatment, most patients will experience a clinical endpoint of erythema (redness) for 1-3 days. However, for more aggressive treatments this may last longer. Slight to moderate edema, (swelling), and a mild to moderate sunburn sensation are also common post treatment and may last 1-3 days. After the second day, skin will appear as an exaggerated tan. Skin will begin to flake at 5-7 days on the face and neck, 7-10 days for the chest and 10-14 days for the hands.
2. Your provider may opt to use additional cooling methods such as cool compresses, gel packs or facial mask for up to 10 minutes after treatment.
3. Before discharge a topical ointment, (like Aquaphor), may be applied to the face. No bandages or wraps are necessary.
4. For more aggressive treatments, your provider may prescribe the use of vinegar soaks to be applied multiple times a day.
5. Your provider will inform you when you may resume the use of your usual skin care products.
6. There are no restrictions on bathing except to treat the skin gently and avoid scrubbing or any trauma to the treated area. Treat it as if it were a sunburn.
7. Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of hyperpigmentation, (darker pigmentation).
8. The use of a zinc oxide sun block SPF 30+ at all times throughout the course of treatment is recommended.
9. Multiple treatments, (3 or more), over a period of several months may be required to achieve the desired response. You may notice immediate as well as longer term improvements in your skin.